Saturday, December 12, 2009

Preparation

Today has been more difficult than yesterday was. Ava can't seem to get comfortable. Her heart rate is just so high. We've been trying pain medication, repositioning, massage. She just can't settle in. I think it's her crumbling metabolic system. Unfortunately, there is no medication that can counter act that.

Ava and Eric have a disease that is little known by the general population. What's known in the medical world is minimal and broad. It's vague at best. There is a handful of brilliant minds that are thinking all the time on how to identify all the inner working of the mitochondria and how to ease the disease process. But to date there is nothing to speak of. It is just so complex and individualistic. It depends on so many factors known and unknown. Mitochondrial disease research is at the forefront of medicine.

I can't even describe how sad it is that there hasn't been much progress in the 6 years that have passed since Eric was with us on this earth. While I have always hoped that Ava was not afflicted with the same terminal illness, I feared it was true. I hoped that she could become stabilized. I hoped that because of Eric there would be more management, more time, more hope.

While we will never understand fully the "whys", I will tell you what I do understand. God created Ava and Eric. He made them imperfect in His perfect plan. They were created for this purpose. They were given to us so that we could have the honor of loving them, knowing them and holding them. Ava gets the extra special treat of being loved by three adoring sisters who couldn't love her any more if they tried.

We feel like we are moving into a new phase: Preparation. We are trying to prepare the girls for what will inevitably come. They are wise and sad. They ask tough questions which helps us know what we believe. How I would do anything to see those faces smile. The muted glimmer in their eyes does nothing short of breaking my already torn apart heart.

I love how they encourage each other. When one is down, another one will try and be strong and cheer up her sister. They love the idea that Ava was given to us because God knew that we could love her the best. I'll tell you we certainly do. (We even learned tonight that she love her bottom lip and chin rubbed. As big a smile she could muster she did. This goes on the list of things about Ava I cherish from today. Also added are watching her play with the suction catheter in her mouth, sucking on her tube, which we haven't seen for awhile, and holding her in a more natural fashion. She was also OK to wear an outfit for a few hours as she was not as hot and sweaty today as she has been.)

Now if only I can get Elaina to understand that when Ava goes to God Eric will not show up in her place. She's just so adamant about it.

The faith of a child is awe inspiring and a breath of fresh air.

7 comments:

  1. Amy, thank you again for sharing so much about Ava. Libby and I continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am constantly praying for your tinyest ladybug. when the HBC prayer service was over, and i got home, i walked into my house & there was a TY ladybug in the den. i have been wondering if God gave you ava for eric. he might need his sister in heaven with him. you have my prayers... krissy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Allan, you and all your ladybugs are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. Lord just please give them what they need Lord, whatever it is they need right now, please be there Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a friend of Kristi's. I went to WCS with her a long time ago. :)
    She told me about your blog and I have kept up with it and have been continually praying for your family and sweet Ava. I'll definitely be praying for the heart's of your 3 sweet girls. Know someome in Virginia is praying fervently for you!

    Debby Peters Warren

    ReplyDelete
  5. continuing to pray for God's sovereign will...and praying for the miraculous!!! May God continue to pour His healing anointing upon each one of you throughout this journey. My heart cries out for each one of you. The lump in my throat won't go away. I know God loves each one of you. Thank You for being faithful and for sharing your heart(s) through your trials. You each have been such a blessing to us readers out here. Praying blessings upon each one of you...forever. --Kristen from Youngstown area (Ohio).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy and Allan,
    My heart breaks for you.....I have no words.
    Danny wants to pray for baby Ava often....
    I do too...
    Love and prayers and hope,
    Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,
    My name is Maria Hopfgarten, and my son Jacob and Ava have a lot in common. Jacob has a mitochondrial disease as well, and is struggling at the end of his life as well. A friend of mine pointed me to your blog, and you have already taught me so much, especially on how I can work with Jacob's older sister Sarah.

    If you want to take a peak at Jacob's blog, it is: www.caringbridge.org/visit/jacobhallberg

    Love, Maria.

    ReplyDelete