Friday, November 13, 2009

There are so many things swirling around in my mind. Nothing tied together, just thoughts rattling around.

Ava's lactate level is going up. This is not really good news. It's indicative of her malfunctions in her mitochondria. Now, Ava hasn't eaten since our admission here. Her mitochondria are hungry. So we are trying to feed her. This is with a ND tube. Hopefully she will get some nutrition and this will help to stabilize her fragile metabolic health. They started to feed her last night. Her lactate increased with 2 separate draws. They decided to stop feeding her. We came in this morning heard the news and got the kibosh put on that. Girlfriend needs some food. They called the neurologist and he agreed. So Ava is fed.

We hope that her underlying metabolic disease is not too insult that she can't recover from it. Again, only God can do this. We just support her and try to get her whatever shot is available.

She is moving around a lot more today. It's fun to see.

Because we are at a point in DNA research that for the most part reveals that Ava does not have any mutations on any of the KNOWN genes that cause mito depletion and COX deficiency AND Ava is now symptomatic we can assume she has what Eric had. Therefore we are needing to have the testing done on Ava that we so wanted to avoid. On Monday or Tuesday Ava will have a lumbar puncture, a muscle biopsy and a skin biopsy. These things will tell us more information about her disease. They will also take months to come back.

We are forced to live in the moment. We don't know how to balance that with the ladybugs at home. We need to figure out how to incorporate school, work, three healthy kids at home and one very sick on in the hospital. We can't be everywhere all at once, but we wish we could. We are spread so thin. We need to work so we can continue to provide for our family. But the added stress that comes with that is overwhelming, at best.

I feel like we need to be here to make sure that Ava is getting the slow and patient care that she requires. That we are gentle. Not quick as medicine tends to be. I did suggest to Ava's resident that she should get out her pen and take notes because we have an interesting case study here. Also that AI needs to establish a mitochondria protocol. It is my feeling that as the research base increases and more genes are identified there will be more reported cases of this type of disease.

We are so happy that the physicians and staff here are really listening to us and following what we, as a treatment team, feel is in Ava's best interest.

If I look down the road I become overwhelmed. As one that likes to have an action plan that is frustrating. I miss my bigger bugs. I want to hold my littlest bug. I can not fix it, I so wish I can. I wish I could bear these tests and this illness for her. But that is not God's plan for Ava.

It's overwhelming to know that we have a disease in our family that is on the cutting edge of genetic research. We are paving a way to what we don't know.

God brought Allan and I together. I know that this is His plan for our family. I also know that Ava's sisters were made by God and are given the "stuff" to handle Ava's life and her illness. I have to hang onto that when I worry about how this will affect them.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle (Rudy) HarveyNovember 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

    amy, listening intently to you... as always :) your hard work in learning your way around this disease is truly paying off. your dedication to make note of every moment of eric and ava's life and compare them is invaluable to the health of your baby... you are her doctor. God gave us the "stuff" that you mentioned to be able to know what is BEST for our children better than anyone else in the world. i'm so glad that the team is listening to you and taking your expert opinion seriously... you don't need a literal phd to be the expert.

    i love you and your entire family of lady bugs. press on dear friend.
    you are doing a GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    Thanks so much for continuing to post updates on the blog. It is the first thing I'm looking at in the morning and the last thing before bed. I'm tailoring my prayers accordingly.

    Thinking of you and your family.

    Jen Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know each other but a friend of mine asked everyone on FB to pray for your family. She gave us the link to your page so I checked it out. My heart aches for you and your family. You are all in my prayers especially little Ava. I have a friend who went throught the same issues you are going through with her daughter so I know how frustrating it is. Don't give up hope. God is watching over your children at home as well as your family so give your sweet little Ava all the love and attention she needs to get her better. Your daughters will not resent you for being with their sister while she was sick.
    MARay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    You and I connected from our time at GCC and mutual friends that we have from there. I just want you to know that you are being lifted up in prayer. My 4 year old has been praying earnestly for sweet Ava to be healed. I talked to my children about your family. We too lost a little boy, but ours, before we even had a chance to meet him. Amy, my heart just aches for you. I have written this comment numerous times and I can't seem to put into words what my heart wants to say. There are just no words to offer enough support and strength but please know that Little Sweet Ava has touched the lives of so many and that the faith that you and Allen are showing is echoing around the country. Our prayers are with you.
    Becky (Frost) Siebert and family

    ReplyDelete