Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Morning

Ava had another good night last night. Let's keep stringing them together. Actually, she needed to be sedated today because her plethora of tubes we aggravating her. So far she is beautifully tolerating her feeds and the vent weaning process. I got to change 2 messy diapers this morning.
Her gross movement was better and she was trying to open her eyes some. She is off the IV fluid and is getting an ounce of 24 calorie formula an hour now. As a result she is less puffy and looks a little more like our baby girl. She was getting all hot and bothered when they repositioned her. It's nice to see some level of spunk.

Never in a million years would I have thought that Ava would be fighting back the way she is. I have great hope for her today. I also am experiencing a floodgate of love for her. I've been holding back since we found out that she failed her newborn hearing screen. I've been so fearful of loosing her. But today it's all there and I can't hold back any longer.

I was remembering how I was so over the moon when little Elaina was born. I went back to work just so in love with her. I've been sad that all that joy I felt for Elaina has not been there with Ava. I've been filled with worry, and concern about her health. Today I look at that beautiful girl who was on the cusp of death and I admire her. I adore her. No matter what may be "wrong" with her I want her. There is so much more on the line now that I am feeling my true feelings. But If I didn't allow it and then she did die how would that be fair to her? She deserves the unabashed love that we can give. When she was born we talked about how she was the gift we never even knew we wanted. But we got her and we so want her.

There are two recurring themes since Ava was given to us. The first is that Ava just needs to eat. I said this after her critical blood sugar after birth. Actually I said "it's not Trisomy 18, Downs Syndrome or mitochondrial disease. Ava was hungry". It was amazing how she perked up after that early feed. The other is that we've often spoken about through Ava God maybe getting us where we need to go in Eric's aftermath. In a grand scheme I really don't know what all that means. I just know that they are things I can't get out of my mind.

Right now I'm going to go an kiss my baby so she can hit my head with her IV laden arm. Then I plan on locating some not gross coffee. After that I'm going to get ready for the Ladybug invasion as they are coming to kiss their baby today.

8 comments:

  1. That is just wonderful news Amy. I'm so glad you are able to let your love for Ava flow. Everything sounds like it is on the upswing. Keep up the awesome work as a Mom.

    Thinking of You and Your Family,
    Skye Woodrum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! I know Ava will love her sisters' kisses and they will help heal her!


    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Amy and Allan,

    Mister Rogers is one of my all-time heroes. This video always puts a smile on my face and warms my heart. I hope it does the same for you both.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBt8keQTPb0

    God's Blessings and Love to You,

    Merrie Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    It is Kathy Overman, Andrew & Adam's Mom. I was fortunate to see your ladybugs at church this morning, and they had smiles on their faces. I was saddened to learn about Ava. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for little Ava and your family! I'm sure her sisters brought plenty of sunshine to her today :)
    God bless you all,
    Marlene Weeks & family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Amy and Allan,

    I meant to send you this link along with the one I sent earlier today. It is very special like the first one.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upm9LnuCBUM&feature=channel

    You are permanently etched in my heart.

    Love,

    Merrie Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    My prayers are with you and Allen and your four beautiful daughters. How precious that Ava got a kiss from her older sisters , she can feel the love of her family surrounding her. I am not surprised that Ava is a fighter and I have great hope for her too.
    Diane Hammond

    ReplyDelete
  8. My thoughts and prayers are with Ava and your family. Ava is a strong little girl. Only good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete