Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rebuilding one block at a time

I hardly know where to begin. I am so very proud of all my 4 ladybugs. Of Ava and her determination, courage and will power to fight that which she could not overcome. Of Elaina and the twinkle in her eye, her sense of humor and her concrete thought. Of Emily and the joy in her eyes as she reveals in the promises of heaven and anticipation of her life, everlasting. And of Alexa who just asks questions, tells us how she feels and how she does everything in her power to give the love we need and get the hugs she needs.

Today we woke up, got dressed, had breakfast, opened some presents early (we're sad so we decided we get to), played with aforementioned presents, played in the snow with good friends, had hot coco, enjoyed the company of lots more good friends, cleaned the biggest bugs room, cried, read the notes on facebook and the blog, got the ball rolling for burial and memorial service arrangements, laughed, squibbled, ate a bad dinner (apparently, I am a little out of practice to which Emmy said, "It's OK Mommy it's been a LONG time since you cooked."), laughed at that, answered tough questions, gave baths, did Christmas countdown, prayed, tucked in some pretty special bugs, answered more tough questions, made a list and checked it more than twice (especially since we can't seem to remember what we need to do from one minute to the next), caught up on email, facebook and the blog comments, cried some and now, write.

The girls got a little sadder as the day wore on and the reality set in. We talked about how we had a happy life before Ava was born and during her time with us here on earth. We talked about how Eric was here and gone before they were born and that they still have a happy life. We then talked about how I know that we can have a happy life again. We talked about how's it's OK to be sad, that it takes a long time to sort this type of sadness out and grownups don't even understand it, really. But we will do it together. We recounted the day over the under cooked chicken and crunchy rice casserole (I stirred it and it moved well, I really am a good cook). We remembered that today was a very sad day but we all had fun, we all laughed, and we all enjoyed parts of the day. So we can do it. We talked about how we need to feel our feelings and keep on going. (Poor kids have a social worker for a Mommy, they have no chance).

We honestly rejoice in the honor to know, love and have Ava in our family. We know that this was what God created her for and this is her life story. It was so short (she lived 5 days longer than Eric, so go sister), but it was mighty. It's not lost on me the words used to describe our littlest bug: fighter, mighty, strong, courageous. All of these things take energy, the very thing her body lacked the ability to produce to keep her here with us. Through that frail, broken (and long) body was a baby who was filled with character and drive. I would often joke in the PICU about what she would be like if her mitochondria were not broken and didn't have crystallization on it's tubulars (FYI that's not good even if it sounds pretty).

God does not do anything without intention. He does not make mistakes. His perfect plan will always be revealed. As I wrote on Facebook right after we found out that Ava was deaf: God is sovereign, even if we don't agree. Our sweet baby girl will leave a poignant hole in our hearts. It's one I will cherish, just as I do that of her brother's. Never as a child would I have dreamed that "this" is how my life would be. But it is. It's wild and unpredictable, but it's guided by the One who I put my trust in. God has never failed us or left our side. We can be angry and confused. He has been here the whole way through. He planned Ava's entire life right through her dying breath. He was in that room with us last night saying to our precious, precious fighter, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

10 comments:

  1. What incredible godly parents you are! The Holy Spirit just radiates, even from your posts. We are so sorry to hear of Ava's passing and we will be praying for you and your sweet little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words of my own. But these floated into my mind.

    ""There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die... a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance... I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time." ~ Ecc. 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if music is your thing but these three songs made me smile through my tears as I thought of you in this time. ALL THAT I CAN SAY BY DAVID CROWDER BAND, BRING THE RAIN BY MERCY ME AND PRAISE YOU INT EH STORM BY CASTING CROWNS. . . wish I knew how to link and such but I have no doubt it God means for you to hear them you will and if not, He knows that too. Your words are a healing balm. Your bugs are beyond blessed to have their social worker Mommy for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words escape me. I have pondered what to write over the past couple of days and all I can think of is just sitting in a quiet place and weeping with you. I am sorry! You said it perfectly, "God is Sovereign!" It sure doesn't make sense at times and this is one of those times.
    Love ya,
    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many emotions, an extremely sad story but so glorifying. Your faith is amazing. This story along with everyone's encouraging posts need to be published. So many lives have been touched by your tragedy. In our prayers.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am touched by your strength. You are an amazing mother - Ava was so blessed to have you and your love.

    I am so sorry you lost her. Her life was short but she surely felt the perfection of her mother's love and strength. She was so lucky to have had you!

    I am amazed by your ability to talk your children through this - you have impressive grace!

    I wish you continued strength. You're doing such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, Allen and your beautiful bugs,
    I have thought of you, Ava and her sisters so many times in these past few weeks. Reading and sharing in your thoughts, emotions and love for each other has been uplifting. If you never write another blog, you would have still written with more love and passion then anyone I have ever known.
    Thank you for sharing your love, grief and thoughts of God and power of praying. May you be Blessed during this sad time in your life. Rejoyce in your love of God, family and friends, with Peace, LBJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Jesus is sure going to have a mouthful of "Well done, good and faithful servant" for you and Allan. The way you are walking your children through this time and holding your family together is beautiful. It is a privilege to know you.

    With love,
    Melissa Craig

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't know me, but I saw your link to this page on a friend's site, and have prayed for weeks for little Ava. You are such an inspiration to me, how you cling to the Lord even in this pain. I can only hope to have your kind of faith. LMS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sad as I've just caught up on your last few blogs...I really hoped and prayed that it would be God's will for your li'l one to be healed...here on earth. I am really just so sad and sorry with each one of you. Ava was a blessing--her life IS a blessing; and, you are surrounded by your other 3 blessings, too. Each one of you, obviously, are a blessing to one another. For whatever reason this had to be, I believe the Lord will continue to pour out his love upon you...and lead you towards the path(s) He is setting before you. Your obedience in writing on this blog is part of His calling upon your lives. I have no advice except to continue what you've taught others: appreciate each moment that is given before you. Thank you for sharing your hearts with such intimate detail. Thank you for giving me opportunity to talk and cry out to God on your behalf. I pray continued blessings upon each of you, in the name of Jesus, Amen. With prayers and sympathy, Kristen from Youngstown, OH

    ReplyDelete