Sunday, November 22, 2009

Couple steps back, couple forward...

Well, Ava decided that breathing unassisted was not in her best interest quite yet. She was needing a bit of assistance to reduce her CO2 retention. So they tweaked her settings a bit. Nothing major. Her doctor didn't not want to be over zealous and tire her out. Then we could get her into a downward spiral. Hmmm, like when they tried too fast last weekend and then ignored her warning signs when mean doctor was on??? So honestly, we are grateful for this Intensivist's approach. Slow and gentle. Attentive and responsive.

I tried to review the day with Ava's nurse. I was trying to look at the positive. Something that I am trying hard to do. Ava is doing better with the weaning than she did last weekend. Today her CO2 was creeping up slowly and they jumped on it before she got tired. Last week it was CO2 up, O2 saturation down, quick desat when suctioned, body temp up, respirations up and Ava looked uncomfortable and like she was working hard. For tonight they will leave her on her new settings and see what happens from there.

She had some awake times today too. She's probably up now while I'm not there to play with her. Her eyes are still not "there" but her irises are clearing ever so slightly. She's making more Ava faces, sucking on her tube and not rejecting touch. I tried to massage one leg and one arm. She enjoyed it and moved against it.

Teeny Tiny Steps. Ava's motto. I see some over all improvement. She has now been fed for almost 72 hours straight. A record for her. I pray that this is what she needs to get back to her baseline. I am cautious about being too excited, usually a step forward means a bad day tomorrow. But I kept telling Ava that I'll take whatever she will give me when she gives it out. So for tonight I thank God for Ava's tiny steps and ask Him to safeguard her and make her strong. Eventually tiny steps turn into strides. I am asking Him to allow Ava to take strides and to eventually run. (I just think that would be cool).

1 comment: