Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Work?

Last night was my first night back to work. It was short-lived. I thought I was coming down with a cold but 1/2 hour before Iwas to leave I developed a fever. I left my shift early only to get a text from Allan saying that Alexa just threw up. By the time I walked in the door, she had thrown up a second time. About 10 minutes later, Emily was throwing up. And so it went all night long. Every ten minutes or so Allan was in their room tending to their needs. I tried to get out of bed to help, but couldn't.

My sweet husband only slept for an hour last night, interrupted. Every time he got tucked in someone would cry. Part of the problem was that they weren't keeping anything down so we couldn't give them anything to help ease the discomfort of the fever. By 4am I went into their room and tried to comfort them. I cold barely move. I laid down on the floor thinking that if I stayed in there Allan could get some sleep. Alexa got out of bed and rubbed my leg. My sweet little bug.

So we made a trek downstairs to the couches. I put on a show for them so that they could focus on something other than being so miserable. It lasted about a half an hour to 45 minutes before Allan came down to bail me out. i was in over my head.

Allan is exhausted. Caring for 3 sick people and one well rested 2 year old on no sleep is not an easy task. But he did it and all the laundry that comes with it.

By the end of the evening Emily made cameo appearances off the couch to tuck me in or give me a sip of Gatorade. Alexa soon attempted to follow suit. They had one bite of banana before bed and kept it down. I hope they stay on this upswing.

While Allan was bathing Lain the big bugs and I had a great talk about Ava. It is one of those things that I will forever cherish. We have been so busy and preoccupied I forgot how important moments like those are needed.

During one of my many baths in my feeble attempt to get comfortable, I began reading a grieving devotional book. It wasn't long before I got pregnant with Ava that I donated my large volume of my grieving books. So here is one I never read, on my nightstand. (It would be safe to assume that some little hands unearthed it from my night table drawer). I thought, well I have nothing else to read. Right there in front of me was a devotion on when to move fast and when to slow down. The scripture reference was Ava's scripture in Isaiah 40.

Low and behold, what have I been struggling with lately? The flow of our lives, needing things to happen, the need to keep on going. I fear that if I loose momentum then I will never reach my goals. But "They that hope in the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint."

Right there on my nightstand for who knows how long. Ava's verse is actually ours too.

1 comment:

  1. Nasty stomach bugs can really take over your lives! After Grace got over it at our house I felt like I needed lysol pumped through the vents. Someone needs to invent that! Praying that it is short-lived and rest, rest, rest!

    ReplyDelete