Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Running

The Eric and Ava Benton Joy-Hope Foundation's 5K is 4 1/2 weeks away. It's all starting to come together, and we are all just so excited to debut our Foundation and raise lots of money to support those who grieve.

I started training for the run in August. I took 2 full weeks off - one because I forgot my sneakers while we were on vacation and 1 because I hurt my knee. So now I have three weeks of training left to see if I can make that distance.

Honestly, I have no idea if I can. I want to, so I suppose that is half the battle. Will the walkers pass me? Most likely. But this is not to win. It's for me. I never do things just for me, but I am and it feels good.

There are so many side benefits that I did not foresee occurring. I have better days, emotionally, when I run. It seems that the endorphins produced and the sweat poured out helps me to pound away at all the crappy life circumstances I've endured in the past 8 years.

I have more energy for our bugs. I like that. Especially since 2 bugs couldn't produce energy. I love that by pushing myself and expending mine, I have extra to share with those I love the most.

So far, I've lost about 12 pounds! I love this. I had 5 babies in just under 6 years, all by c/s. I looked it. When we go out I have 2 nearly 6 year olds and a 3 1/2 year old. I don't have the 7 year old and the 13 month old to show why I looked the way I did. This is a battle for me and always hurt my heart in a deep and strange way. To see that I am taking shape and look a lot less like "letting myself go" that burden I've been lugging around is starting to fall away.

Who knew that I would be so into this. I am and I love it.

Our 5K theme is "Use your Energy for those who can't". You know what, whether you are afflicted with mitochondrial disease or you are dealing with grief, you don't have energy. It is awesome to see that even though my children aren't with me on earth, I can still do this for them and me too!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, this is awesome! I'm so sorry for the burden you've felt with weight. That's hard anyway after having all those babies in such a short amount of time, but to not have anything to "show" for it would make it so much worse.

    I LOVE the theme for your run! An incredible way to but into perspective what you are accomplishing and why. Beautifully put, as always.

    Praying for you and thankful for running for you!

    ReplyDelete