Saturday, February 19, 2011

Motivation

So so many people have said to me over the past few months, "I wish I had your motivation." I wish I had it sometimes too.

6 months ago I was a depressed, grieving Mommy who had 5 babies and 4 c-sections in a little less than six years time and was in the worst physical shape of my life.

When I found out I was pregnant with Ava I resigned myself to have the post partum body I had. I hadn't even lost all of my Elaina weight yet.

Then the Joy-Hope Foundation decided to hold a 5K.

I decided to run it.

Then I ran 2 more races in the next month.

Then I decided to train past the 3.1 mile distance so that I could actually run an entire 5K distance without having to walk a bit. (Which I blamed on asthma and illness).

Then I decided to push myself to train for a 6.55 mile run in May. It was Nov. and I was up to 4 miles.

Then I found a website about "why do you run". I pictured my fragile, yet super strong babies whose every breath was like a marathon for them. I had a vision of "6.55 for Eric, 6.55 for Ava. Use Your Energy for Those Who Can't." I realized I HAD to run a half marathon. I got chills. I cried.

Then I took 3 weeks off around Christmas- I hurt my ankle, needed new shoes, and was really really sad.

New Year's week arrived, I started to hit the pavement. I got back to where I was. I kept dropping time. I got to 6 miles by the end of January.

I got hurt. I took a week off. I found the "magic" in massage therapy.

I hit the streets again. This week I ran 8.72 miles. I realized when the pain waves over my legs and my body feels weary- this is not even remotely what those babies endured. The build up of lactic acid in their bodies must have hurt. I know it does me.

I wish I could have fed them protein packed jelly beans and packets of gel.

Those sweet babies ran a marathon and burned so many calories by trying to perform daily functions. They completed their races. They earned the ultimate prize.

When I want to quit. When I don't think I can carry on. I think of that. There's my motivation.

Half for Each- That is how I run.

1 comment: