Monday, May 24, 2010

Whoa!

We had a really busy week last week. I spent most of it really focusing on my jewelry making and updating my Etsy shop. The catalyst was that I had the honor of making and donating some pieces for an Ebay auction in honor of a 4 year old little girl, Susana, who is fighting a battle with cancer. Her parents are missionaries in Haiti and now back in the states to help their daughter fight fight fight. Their story has touched me. They have a (almost ?) 6 six old daughter as well. I really identify with some of the feelings they are having as they support their sweet child fight the fight of her life. To learn more about this family go to www.howcantheyhear.org . The last update I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with what Susana's mother was saying.

So I designed a prayer bracelet for her and donated other bracelets as well. If you would like to assist this family, please go to www.ebay.com and search "auctions for susana". There are 174 items up for bid. The auction ends on 5/30/2010. 100% of the profit goes to Susana's medical fund.

By participating, it's a small way I can bless in a way that I have been so abundantly blessed. It is an honor that God is allowing me to think and live this way. On my Esty site (www.etsy.com/shop/4ladybugbracelets) I feature two prayer bracelets, one for Susana, one for Haydon. 50% of the profit from the purchase of either of these bracelets will go to family fund for each child.

Haydon is a 15month old little girl living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Type 1 (SMA). It's a fairly common, rare neurological condition where the afflicted patient progressively looses strength and muscle tone. Haydon's family loves, advocates and fights for this beautiful child every day. She is a beautiful and sweet baby girl. (She's tough too). SMA was one of the very first things that the doctors worked Eric up for when he presented at the hospital. This is close to my heart as well. Haydon's story can be found at www.caringbridge.org/visit/haydon/journal .

There are many other things cooking for our family right now. The Joy-Hope Foundation is now Incorporated. Step one- check! Now we are on to the next steps that will enable us to take tax-deductible donations!

Our family was one of the featured families in my Alma mater's (Grove City College) Alumni magazine, The Geedunk.

There are still a couple other things in the hopper, so to speak. So more to come later on those.

As for our family. I am happy to say that this past week the black cloud around the house was a little higher and a little grayer. The emotions of grief were not so intense for all of us. There were breaks in the battering waves. It was really nice. This week Elaina hit a developmental spurt and is thinking and processing what she can understand about Ava and her life and death in a new light. That always leads to tough knock you on your rear questions. I choose to look at that as good.

Right now Emily and Alexa are now focused on "Z" week at pre-school and have mixed emotions as to whether or not they want summer vacation to come. They really love school and don't want to miss their teachers, who have done so much for them this year by supporting, nurturing and loving them. (They taught them lots of stuff too!) Then again there is Kindergarten on the horizon, so of course there is the lure of getting bigger! (We are going to give Homeschooling a whirl next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Allan and I are desperately trying to squeeze out time together in the small windows we have with each other. We are trying to keep the household going, work, grieve, work at the Foundation, and have some fun as well. Right now it may seem crazy busy, but it feels balanced.

Why? Because I actually spent some time in prayer. You would think that I would be more disciplined about that by now. Ugh.

Elaina is alone and it is quiet. That is my sign that I am done blogging for today.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for making these items on behalf of our precious Susana. Maria and I have been so overwhelmed by the love and support that have been shown our family. We wish we could thank each and every person in such a special way, but we would have to travel the entire world to do so. The body of Christ has been such an amazing representation to us of Jesus Himself. So, thank you for being the hands and feet of Jesus. Cody

    ReplyDelete